In the box
Together with your iPod classic, you have
- a USB 2.0 cable
- a dock adaptor
What you also need
To use your iPod classic, you must have a computer.
A Mac requires
- a USB 2.0 port
- Mac OS X v10.4.11 or later
- iTunes 8.0 or later
A PC requires
- a USB 2.0 port
- Windows Vista or Windows XP (Home or Professional) with Service Pack 3 or later
- iTunes 8.0 or later
Your iPod classic has
- a hold switch and headphones port on the top edge
- a dock connector on the bottom edge
- a two and a half inch colour LCD screen
- a Click Wheel beneath the screen with the following buttons:
- a centre button
- To find a menu item, move your thumb or finger around the Click Wheel
- To select an item, press the centre button
- To see the previous menu, press Menu
- To switch on the backlight. Press any button or scroll the Click Wheel.
- To view main menu. Press and hold Menu.
- To adjust the volume. Use the Click Wheel.
- To search for a song. Select Music on the main menu.
- To search for a video. Select Videos on the main menu.
- To play a song/video. Choose the song or video; press either the centre button or play/pause (?II). Please note: you cannot play songs or videos when you’ve connected the iPod classic to your computer.
- To pause. Press play/pause (?II) or remove the headphones from your iPod classic.
- To rewind or fast forward a song or video. Press and hold previous/rewind (I??), or next/fast forward (??I).
- To play the previous song/podcast/audiobook chapter. Press previous/rewind twice (I??).
- To listen to all songs in random order. Select Shuffle Songs on the main menu.
- To skip to a certain part of a song or video. If you’re in the Now Playing screen, press the centre button. The scrubber bar appears with a diamond icon that indicates the current position in the song or video. Move the icon forward or backward with the Click Wheel.
- To make a Genius playlist. Select or play a song; press and hold the centre button until a menu appears on the screen; select Start Genius; press centre button. Please note: Start Genius appears only when you have appropriate songs to create a Genius playlist.
- To add a song to your On-The-Go playlist. Select or play a song; press and hold the centre button until a menu appears on the screen; select Add to On-The-Go; press the centre button.
- To disable your iPod classic controls to prevent anything happening if you accidentally touch them. Move the hold switch to the HOLD position.
- To reset your iPod classic if it doesn’t respond. Move the hold switch to HOLD and back again; press the centre and menu buttons at the same time and hold for around six seconds until the Apple logo comes on the screen.
- Press and hold the centre button until a menu appears on the screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Settings>About. Press the centre button until the serial number appears. The number is also on the back of your iPod classic.
- Choose Search from the Music menu
- Create a search word by using the Click Wheel to run through the alphabet, and the centre button to select each letter. Press the next/fast forward button (??I) for a space; press the previous/rewind button (I??) to delete a letter. Your iPod classic starts the search when you select the first letter
- To see the results, press Menu
- Select Cover Flow from the Music menu
- Scroll through the album artwork with the Click Wheel, or use the next/fast forward (??I) and previous/rewind (I??) buttons
- Choose an album
- Press the centre button
- Scroll through the available songs with the Click Wheel and select one
- Press the centre button
- Put the Dock Connector/USB cable into a USB 2.0 port on your computer
- Plug the other end into your iPod classic’s dock connection
- Click on the iTunes Eject button (?) or
- for Mac users, drag the desktop iPod classic icon to Trash or
- for PC users, eject iPod classic in My Computer, or select the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the Windows system tray and choose iPod classic
- pull the cable from the bottom
- buy items from the online iTunes store
- import items from your CDs, DVDs or computer hard drive
- Place a CD in your computer
- Open iTunes
- Select Import CD
- When you’ve finished, eject the CD by selecting Eject ?
- select your CD’s first song
- choose File>Get Info
- select Info
- type in the name of the song
- choose Next
- when you’ve finished, select OK
- Drag the appropriate folder to the iTunes heading marked Library, or
- Select File>Add to Library and choose the appropriate folder
- Select a song
- Select File>Get Info
- Select Artwork
- Select Add
- Go to the file containing the artwork
- Select Choose
- By using the slider, adjust the size of the artwork
- Select Next to include artwork for another song or album
- Select OK when you’ve finished
- choosing a song on iTunes
- selecting File>Get Info
- selecting Lyrics
- putting the lyrics in the text box
- selecting Next to enter the lyrics for another song
- clicking OK when you’ve finished
- Select Add (+) or File>New Playlist
- Enter a playlist name
- Select Music in Library
- Drag a song to the playlist
- Select File>New Smart Playlist
- Set up your rules
- on iTunes, select the Genius button (located at the bottom of the iTunes window)
- follow the instructions
- connect the iPod classic to your computer and sync it
- select one of your songs on iTunes
- click the Genius button
- set a maximum number of songs for the Genius playlist by selecting a number from the pop-up menu
- select Save Playlist
- select iPod classic in the source list of iTunes
- choose Summary
- in Options, choose “Manually manage music and video”
- select Apply
- select Music (or an alternative item in the iTunes source list)
- drag the song or other item to the list’s iPod classic icon
- select iPod classic in the source list
- on your iPod classic, choose the song or other item
- press Delete or Backspace on your computer keyboard
- select iPod classic in the source list
- choose Add (+) or File>New Playlist
- type in a name for the playlist
- choose the items you want in your playlist, and drag them to it
- choose iPod classic in the iTunes source list
- choose Movies
- select “Sync movies”
- select the videos you want to transfer to your iPod classic
- choose Apply
- connecting it to your computer (the computer must be on and not in sleep or standby mode – except for some Macs) or by
- using an Apple USB Power Adaptor
To manually delete a song or other item from your iPod classic
This deletes the song or other item from your iPod classic, but retains it in your iTunes library.
To manually create a new playlist on your iPod classic
When you manage songs and videos manually, always eject your iPod classic from iTunes before disconnection.
To load videos on your iPod classic
You can add films and TV shows to your iPod classic in a similar fashion to the way you add songs (see above).
Your iPod classic syncs all videos automatically. To sync only selected videos
Select Help>iTunes Help for further details about iTunes and its features.
Your iPod classic has a built-in battery. When you charge the battery for the first time, leave it for around four hours or until the screen’s battery icon shows a full charge.
When your iPod classic’s battery runs down, it takes about two hours to reach an 80% charge, and four hours to reach a full charge.
Methods of charging
Charge your iPod classic by
Please note: (i) your computer’s USB port must be USB 2.0 (ii) the iPod classic will not sync with your computer when a “Charging, Please Wait” or “Connect to Power” message appears on the classic’s screen
A battery icon on your iPod classic screen indicates the amount of charge you have left.
Sync your Genius playlist to the iPod classic in the same way as ordinary playlists.
To load music on your iPod classic
Your iPod classic automatically syncs songs, playlists, audiobooks, videos, films, TV episodes, and podcasts in your iTunes library when you connect it to your computer. If you’ve deleted or added items to your iTunes library since you last connected the iPod classic, iTunes automatically updates the classic’s contents.
When you first connect the iPod classic to your computer, a message asks if you want automatic syncing. Please note that if you don’t want this, you can add items to your iPod classic manually.
To manage your iPod classic manually
Managing your iPod classic content manually allows you to delete and add songs and videos as you choose.
To set iTunes for manual management
To manually add a song or other item to your iPod classic
To add lyrics
View lyrics while a song is playing by
To make playlists
With iTunes, you can make your own playlists.
You can also set up a feature known as Smart Playlists. Smart Playlists update automatically when you place songs on iTunes that match your Smart Playlist rules.
Genius automatically creates playlists of songs that go well together. To activate Genius
To set up an iTunes Genius playlist
To add music already on your computer to your iTunes library
iTunes must be able to support the song file format.
When you put music in your iTunes library, you can include the album artwork and arrange for the lyrics to come up on your iPod classic screen. You can also make playlists, and set up features such as Smart Playlist and Genius.
To add album artwork
Any music you buy from the iTunes Store comes with the album artwork. Your iPod classic automatically displays this.
If you’ve imported music from a CD, and you have the album artwork on your computer, you can add it to iTunes.
iTunes uses the Internet to try to find the names of the songs on your CDs. If the names are not available on the Internet
To disconnect your iPod classic:
iTunes is the software that enables you to buy, arrange and transfer music, videos, TV episodes, audiobooks, podcasts, and games. When you connect the iPod classic to your computer, iTunes automatically appears.
To place digital media in your iTunes library, you can
To place your audio CDs in iTunes
Other control options Your iPod classic serial number
If your iPod classic doesn’t respond to any controls, push the hold switch to the HOLD position and back again. Then, for approximately six seconds, press the Menu and centre buttons at the same time. The Apple logo will appear on your iPod classic screen.
Searching The search function
Use the search function for songs; album titles; artists’ names; playlists; podcasts; and audiobooks. You cannot use the search function for videos; notes; lyrics; contacts; or calendars.
Browsing with Cover Flow
Cover Flow displays album artwork on your iPod classic screen. The artwork appears according to the alphabetical name of the artist or group, and provides a visual method of browsing.
Connections Connecting the iPod classic to your computer
Connect the iPod classic to your computer to transfer music, videos, audiobooks, podcasts, photos, and files. The connection charges your battery at the same time.
Never disconnect the iPod classic from your computer if one of the following messages is on the iPod classic’s screen:
When you see such a message, eject your iPod classic before disconnecting it.
– menu – next/fast forward (??I) – play/pause (?II) – previous/rewind (I??)
The iPod classic controls Switching on
To switch on your iPod classic, press the Click Wheel or the centre button. The main menu then appears.
To switch off your iPod classic, press and hold play/pause (?II).
To navigate the menus of your iPod classic, use the Click wheel and the centre button.
Common control functions