"How's that possible?" "I've been using what on babies?"
This was my reaction when I was researching baby products (during the development phase of Babies 411) and found out the news that most of the baby products that we know, love, and have used for years contain cancer-causing (carcinogenic) chemicals. What an eye opener.
As a NICU nurse, I care for babies that are compromised and are in their most vulnerable state. Now I find out that I have been unknowingly using and recommend unsafe products. Well, no more. I have taken a stand and made it a mission to educate mothers, caregivers and most of all healthcare professionals on the dangers lurking within our trusted baby shampoos, washes, lotions, wipes and more. As a healthcare professional, I know that parents are looking to us for the answers. And because of this, parents choose and purchase products that we use in the hospitals believing this is the safest options. Why would not it be if we use them in the hospitals? Unfortunately, we are unknowingly and unintentionally promoting bad products.
Want to know how to protect your baby from these toxic products? Here are a few recommendations:
1. Knowledge is power so do your research! Read labels and avoid those products that contain harmful ingredients. Learn more by reading our article "Protecting our Babies from Toxic Chemicals" at http://www.Babies411.com
2. Less is more. Be sparing on products that you use on your baby.
3. How safe is your baby products? Check out Skin Deep to learn more about the products you are putting on your baby.
4. Keep up-to-date on news surrounding chemicals in baby products (not just skin care products, but also chemicals found in toys, clothing, food, plastics and other baby products).
5. Love disposable baby wipes but want to avoid the chemicals? Make your own wipes. Want to learn how? Read our article Making Homemade Baby Wipes for the easy, breezy recipe.
6. Are you expecting a baby? Ask your hospital or childbirth facility what baby products they use on babies. If it's not a safe choice, bring your own and make your baby's first bath a healthy, toxin-free bath.
7. Help us spread the word. We are working hard with our favorite company, Earth Mama Angel Baby, trying to educate healthcare facilities on the dangers of toxic baby products and looking to phase these products out of our hospital systems. With your help, we could move mountains! Contact your maternity unit and express your concerns.