When getting started in rc flying you're going to have to make the decision of what's going to be your very first plane. Being a beginner pilot you are going to want a beginner plane. Let's take a look at some of the attributes that make a good beginner plane.
1. Electric powered. Electric powered planes are much cheaper and easier to use than gas powered. You turn them on and they are ready to go. Gas powered motors need a special fuel and then you have to tune them. It's a lot more work. Also electric planes are much cheaper than gas powered. Most beginner electric planes come with everything you need to fly. For a gas powered plane you need to purchase everything separate.
2. Top Wing design. This is a plane that has the wing on top of the plane. Having the wing on top of the plane gives it more lift. Lift helps keep the plane floating in the air. As a beginner you are going to want a plane that floats by itself, especially if you run into trouble.
3. Large wingspan. A large wingspan will also add more lift to the plane.
4. 2 or 3 channels. 2-channel planes allow you to control the up / down and side to side (turning) movement of the plane. A 3-channel will allow you to do the same, but also allows you to control the speed of the motor. This allows you to control the pitch of the plane. A 4-channel plane is too much for a beginner. The 4th channel is used to control the ailerons which are used in more advanced flying.
5. Anti Crash Technology (ACT). This is not found in very many planes, but if you find one that uses it this technology is great. These planes use sensors to check the direction of the plane. If they sense that the plane is going into a dive they take over control of the plane and adjust its altitude giving you more time to react and avoid a crash.
Following these guidelines will help you find a great beginner rc plane, one that you will enjoy flying for a long time. Good luck and happy flying.