Posted on

Allergens, Mold, Germs, And Bad Water

There are two major elements in the home that can directly affect our health and the way we feel and look. Those two things are the air we breathe and the water we drink. We spend a great part of our life in the homes we live in and probably do not realize how important it is that they be kept clean with fresh air and a water supply that is healthy for consumption. It is easier to achieve a healthier living environment than you might think.

You have to know where germs and bacteria grow and how to eliminate them as best you can. We all know how germ laden bathroom surfaces can be, but they are also present in the kitchen and many other surfaces. Door knobs, bedding, towels, toys, telephones, computer keyboards, and remote controls are things we all touch and leave germs on. Use a spray disinfectant on these things or wipe them with a cloth wet with disinfectant cleaner. Sponges in the kitchen need to be replaced often. We can not eliminate germs completely, but using disinfectant sprays and cleaners regularly can help cut down on stomach illnesses and colds we transfer from one family member to another.

The air we breathe in the home can be made healthier by making sure that the air filters in our heating and cooling units are changed as often as is recommended. They can be clogged with dirt that contain dust mites, mold spores, and other air born particles that can escape the filter and be re deposited in the air. Use a quality filter to trap more allergens. Vacuuming and cleaning carpets and rugs will reduce dust mites and other allergens that can be trapped in them. Open windows when you can to let fresh air circulate through the home.

Mold is a health hazard in the home. It can grow anywhere that is damp, wet, warm, and has food. The bathroom, kitchen, and basement are usually good breeding grounds. Fix any water leaks you find in the plumbing. Wipe down wet surfaces in the kitchen and bath. Make sure you have proper ventilation in the bathroom and kitchen. A dehumidifier might be used in a damp basement. If the water issue is serious in a basement, you need a professional to come and look at it.

We need to know the quality of our drinking water. When we have water provided by the county or city, it is usually alright to drink, but it could still have elements you do not want to ingest. Well water in the home needs to be tested regularly to make sure there is no e-coli present. Well water can also contain large amounts of iron and other elements that are not good to drink and can cause lime scale on surfaces it comes in contact with. Use a water purifier on your well pump and you can use a faucet water purifier.

Source by Rachel Yoshida

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *